Friday, November 28, 2008

Complete Streets Workshop in Peace River

The Town of Peace River is co-sponsoring a free workshop on December 4 (Thursday) with Transport Canada and the Sustainable Alberta Association. Rebecca O'Brien, the Sustainable Alberta Association Program Director is the presenter.

We'll look at ways to evaluate and improve our sustainable transportation environment (walking, cycling and transit) and the day will include a short "walk-about."

Anyone who is interested in health, environmental and planning issues is encouraged to attend.

I'm attending and hope to see a large number of other participants there. What I'm particularly interested in learning about is how we can adapt principles that have been developed for large urban centres to a small town with the kind of geographic challenges that Peace River walkers and cyclers encounter.

For more information or to register, go to the Town of Peace River website.

1 comment:

Bill Given said...

This is a great session Leslie, we had one and I really loved it. Many of our municipal staff including planners and traffic engineers attended. sadly I was the only elected official at the meeting.

I think you'll find that this session changes the way you look at streets - you'll see things in a different way. I know I started seeing "incomplete streets" every where in GP.

Encourage your staff to attend, especially the engineers.

You can see all my posts on the Complete Streets concept here