Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Watching History

I'm not sure I ever thought I'd live long enough to see an African-American President and First Lady, but it has happened! And with a huge voter turnout--Canadians should look on that with envy.

Collaboration and figuring out how to work together to achieve big goals is so important to me and is how I try to approach municipal public life. Watching the US campaign has given me high hopes that an Obama presidency will approach the huge social and economic problems in the US and around the world from that perspective.

I was also encouraged by John McCain's gracious concession speech and his call for all Americans to work together. We can't expect the extreme partisanship that is characteristic of US politics to disappear overnight, but I anticipate seeing a far different approach to internal and international US relations than we've seen for far too long.

1 comment:

Vicki said...

I feel great hope and optimism about the idea of people of all kinds working together to build a new future in the US; I know it'll trickle north and hope we can feel the positive effects of the energy that's going on south of the border. :-)